Saturday, January 4, 2014

Tips for Traveling with a Baby/Toddler



With my family being in Indiana and us in Texas, we fly A LOT. Kinley is now almost 2 and has managed to fly about 12-15 times (2 of the times being to Mexico) and most of the time I fly by myself early and meet my husband there. People always ask me how to do it or how to manage the flight . . . here are a few tips that I can suggest. 

1. Pack smart and accessible. Minimize your luggage/bags for carry on. I always carry a backpack (yes go back to the 90s and dig yours out - you will be happy you did) and diaper bag. Inside my diaper bag I carry 4 baggies. I think baggies is the easiest way to do it because you are never digging in your bag and you can pull it out just as quick as you can pack it back in. 

Baggie 1: Diapers, wipes, and cream/powder

Baggie 2: Toys (quick and accessible) 

Baggie 3: Food - remember you are somewhere around 30,000 feet in the air and you have a baby in your lap. Leave your spoons and all of the food that is a pain to feed a baby on your lap or even next to you. I always bring Plum/Gerber pouches, goldfish, bananas, etc. 

Baggie 4: Clothes – You may not have had a blowout in awhile or a child that has peed all the way through their diaper . . . but at 30,000 feet ANYTHING is possible and for me it has happened several times J


In my backpack . . . . I don't carry a purse when I travel (I pack one), it is just one more thing I don't have hands for. Like I said, I travel alone most of the time - good luck getting down the airplane aisle with bags, a baby, and a purse. Anyways, back on topic. Inside my backpack . . . I carry my wallet, bottles of water (that of course I purchase after security), my daughter’s favorite blankie and stuffed animal so she is cozy on the cold plane, and extra clothes. You never know when you will need them!

2. Bottle time. If you are flying with a bottle baby or breast fed baby (I have done both) - I will say the breastfeeding is a lot easier . . .  Pop the cover on and you are good! I never pumped in the airport, I managed to always book direct flights to avoid it. As far as breast milk, you are allowed to bring it as long as you keep it in baggies and show it to TSA as you arrive to the security area. If you are using formula, make sure you buy bottles of water once you get through security so that you are able to make bottles on the plane. Flight attendants are not quick to get you water and they won’t give it to you during take off when you need it the most.

3. Bring your child’s birth certificate/passport if they are flying on your lap. Most airlines require proof that your child is under 2 and Southwest is VERY strict about it.

4. Take off and Landing. This can be one of the most difficult times on the whole flight especially with the changes of pressure and altitude. The BEST thing to do is have them suck during take off and landing. I sometimes will make Kinley VERY mad in the aiport when she wants her milk because I will hold off until take off but you won’t regret it. Now that she is off of milk, I will give her a fruit pouch, pacifier or anything that can be sucked on to prevent her ears from hurting. You definitely want to do this during take off and landing. 


5. Stroller or No Stroller? Ok, I have heard people go both ways with this one. Personally, I love having a stroller. Kinley is now 25 pounds and too big for a carrier and even when she wasn’t, I didn’t want to carry her, a backpack, and a diaper bag. However, I have seen people that fly with their spouse (like I said I usually go ahead of my husband and he meets me) carry their child in a carrier and it looked fine. But, read the next section for a perk to having your stroller with infant car seat (if your child is still in one).

If you do take a stroller, take a cheap one that you don’t love. Remember, the people that “gate check” your items, don’t give a **** what you paid for it. . . .

6. Make friends with the people at the counter before you board ASAP. Despite what you think about these people, they have more power than you think J When they are standing behind their little computer, clicking away on the keyboard, saying they can’t help you – THEY CAN IF YOU ARE NICE TO THEM. Kinley will sleep an entire flight/car ride/train ride/space ship launch WHATEVER if she can be in her car seat. If you have a stroller with an infant car seat that is detachable I highly recommend taking it. Walk up very nicely to the counter and politely ask them if the flight is full, when they say no ask them VERY nicely if you could please keep your child in your FDA approved car seat because they will sleep during the flight. The majority of the time it has worked like a charm. A few times we had a full flight and they really couldn’t do anything. Then gate check your stroller and wait for it on the ramp when you arrive at your destination after the pilot turns off the fasten seatbelt sign J

7.  Before you board. Take out one of those blankets that you packed to use as a “play blanket” on the nasty airport floor and have tummy time, stretch time, roll around time, etc. Make sure you don’t use that same blanket on the plane . . . ewww gross. Also, squeeze in one last diaper change. Some airplanes have changing tables but good luck fitting in the closet sized bathroom to make it happen.

8.  Ignore everyone sitting around you. Admit it, you have given the eye roll too. Luckily, you will NEVER see these people again (besides at the baggage claim). When they roll their eyes at you just smile back or flick them off . . . just kidding don't do that . . .

9. Load up your IPAD/IPHONE/IPOD. It has been my saving grace on a flight. Load some of your child’s favorite shows (ours is loaded with episodes of Scooby Doo and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse) and don’t forget apps too! They come in handy when you need to entertain them . . . just don’t forget to charge it up the night before J

10. Travel comfortable! I get it, I like to travel cute also but reality is when you are confined to a tiny area with a toddler/baby anything can happen. Chances are you are going straight to a house when you land, you can change there. If you are going somewhere important, bring a change of clothes and change at the airport. I have had amazing luck and have been thrown up on, peed on, and even had a drink kicked off of my husband's tray table onto my lap. Long story short, I now usually travel extremely comfortable and easy - sorry I got so dressed up for you mom :)

11. BE FLEXIBLE & Pick your battles! Flying and airports are stressful enough without a kid. Throw a kid into the mix and it can be a nightmare or not bad at all. Remember, the whole day is off track for them and their normal routine is shot for the day. Try to plan your flight accordingly if possible. For example, we always try to fly early in the morning before naptime but delays and things happen. Don’t stress about naptime, healthy lunches etc. If they want the pacifier, give them the pacifier! Kinley has found entertainment with barf bags, magazines, and putting the shade up and down. Whatever makes you happy Kinley. You win (today only of course :))  With a little bit of luck, they may sleep the whole flight.


Good luck! If something works great for you, please share :) As much as we fly, I am always open to new ideas!





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS